Access to Council of Europe web applications
The Council of Europe has implemented a single authentication web system (Single Sign On Web) for the Organisation's applications and restricted web sites (Committee of Ministers sites, HCMS appraisal application, Leave workflow, collaborative workspaces etc.).
With this system, once you are connected to your computer account, you will no longer be required to enter your user name and password more than once to access the applications concerned.
How does it work?
After logging on to your workstation, if you want to access one of the Council of Europe restricted web applications, open the application in your web browser and type in your log-in information.
This means that once you have opened your web browser and until you close it, you need to type in your log-in information just one time.
Who can use this system?
All staff members of the Organisation, including staff of the HR Court and the EDQM, as well as retired staff, permanent representatives, experts etc.
How do I log in?
To access the Council of Europe's websites and web applications included in the SSO web system*, proceed as follows:
First open your web browser and click on one of these web applications. The "Web authentication system" page below will be displayed.
· In the "Email address" field of the authentication window, type in your Council of Europe e-mail address (eg: firstname.lastname@example.org)
· In the "Password" field of the authentication window, type in the password for your main computer account. For reasons of confidentiality, the password is not displayed as you type it, with each character represented by an asterisk.
· Then click on the "Login" button to access the web application.
The password is strictly personal and must never be disclosed to a colleague, the DIT, a hierarchical superior or any third party. No one is entitled or authorised to ask you for your password.
What do I do if the error message "Password is a required field" appears?
If this message is displayed, type in your main computer account password in the "Password" field of the authentication window.
What do I do if the error message "We couldn't authenticate you. Provide your authentication informations again." appears?
If this message is displayed:
· Check that your e-mail address is spelt correctly,
· type in your main computer account password again in the "Password" field of the authentication window.
Remember that a workstation distinguishes between UPPER CASE or lower case letters in a password. You must therefore check whether your Caps lock is on or not when typing the password.
How do I log out of the Single Sign On system?
To log out of an application and the SSO web system:
· Click on the buttons/links entitled "logout SSO" or "Logout" or "Sign Out".
· A warning message will ask you to confirm.
· After clicking on the "OK" button, you will be redirected to the SSO system log-out page.
As a security measure, you are asked to close your web browser.
How do I close an application without logging out?
To close an application without logging out of the SSO web system:
· If one exists, use the "Close application"» or "Quit"» button
· Or close the corresponding tab of your web browser.
What do I do if I forget my password?
a/ For staff members and personnel working at the Council of Europe
If staff members forget their password, they can use the reset option via the Forgotten your password? link located below the login button.
Should there be a problem, staff members must go in person to the Standard Services Division of the DIT located on the ground floor in the annex of building D.
They should bring the badge with photo as provided by the Directorate of General Services. For security reasons, passwords will not be given out either by telephone or by E-mail.
Persons using computer systems in The European Court of Human Rights or the European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines and Healthcare should contact the computer departments of these institutions directly.
b/ External consultants
External consultants can reset their password using the Forgotten your password? link located below the login button.
Should there be a problem, they can contact their contact at the Council of Europe.
c/ Retired person
Retired staff members can reset their password using the Forgotten your password? link located below the login button.
Should there be a problem, they can contact their representative in the DHR at the Council of Europe.
d/ Personnel of the Permanent Representations
The personnel of the permanent representations can reset their password using the Forgotten your password? link located below the login button.
Should there be a problem, they can contact the Secretariat of the Committee of Ministers.
Good practice for security
Lock your workstation
To ensure that your data remain confidential, it is recommended that you lock your workstation when you leave the office, even very briefly:
· Use the key combination: Ctrl, Alt and Del/Suppr
· Click on the button: "Lock Computer"
· Your workstation is now locked.
To unlock it, press Ctrl, Alt and Del/Suppr and enter your password as requested by the system.
*SSO Web: Single Sign On Web